Leaf Springs

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaf Springs
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:38:22 -0500 reply-type=original with any abuse report
Today was so nice out that I decided to run out to Horrible Fright to pick
up a trailer wiring kit to re-do the lights on the one-wheeled trailer. On
the way there I heard some unusual noises in the rear suspension and
something smelled hot and rubbery. Got out to take a look and found the
driver's side top leaf busted and the wheel rubbing the back of the wheel
well.

Oh well, forgot my wallet anyway, so I might as well go on home and fix it.
Limped home, ignoring the mid-Sixties GTO trying to show off. I was quite
glad that I had done this a year and a half ago and there were no surprises.
Unfortunately, my spare spring was substantially higher than the previous
spring, so I had to do both sides. I hope it settles a bit, sitting rather
high right now. No, I did not take them off of a 1500, but that's not to say
that that isn't what they were intended for.  We shall see. They had the
same number of leaves, but the bottom couple of leaves were longer than the
previous springs and there were not as many clamps on them. Any real way to
tell? All done and ready for "Drive Your British Car Week".

Wat makes these springs break?
David Lieb