Sputtering, etc. (Faulty Rotors)

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sputtering, etc. (Faulty Rotors)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:39:30 -0400
     Hey, Chuck, you cleared up the mystery that`s been nagging me for going
on a year now. (Having little better to do these days I tend to fret over such
things.)
    The suspect rotor looks fine, but on close examination, there`s a little
soft spot in the bore. I was able to dig almost to the other side with the
point of an awl. So that`s what stopped me: burn through! I`ll be darned.
      The rotors that have to be forced on, I suppose, fail because they crack
in the process.
     Look, I don`t mind breaking down or having to fix things, but I sure hate
not being certain if I fixed the right thing. This isn`t a Lucas rotor,
though. I don`t know what it is. Made by somebody named "Remove To Oil," or so
it goes.
     Don`t get me wrong. I`m grateful to have a plentiful supply of parts
still available for a car that`s going on 50. What rips me is that if you are
going to reproduce something, why not get it right. With today`s technology
and materials, repro things should be better than factory. Also, it`s just as
easy to make it right as it is to get it messed up. Then there are the rascals
who keep selling the bad stuff knowing it won`t fit. You guys know who they
are. Surely they get gripes. Probably they know it costs us more to send it
back than to toss it and reorder.
     I`m still chewing on the time we had finding out why my buddy`s MGA
couldn`t get a pedal after a total overhaul of the breaking system. Crummy
aftermarket wheel cylinder caused us weeks of unnecessary grief...
     But I suppose that if you want reliability, and nothing to complain
about, you get a Lexus.

Bert