Re: Electric Fuel Pump on a 1500 revisited

To: "KGROWLER@aol.com" <KGROWLER@aol.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pump on a 1500 revisited
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:04:58 -0400
the only improvement an electric fuel pump makes is a quick float bowl fill
up to provide fuel a bit sooner and cut down cranking time before a float
bowl is full.
with mechanical fuel pumps , some times they tend to need a bit of cranking
in order to get the 2 valves in them wet and seal in order to begin
pumping.   an electric pump bypasses this.   and as many of these cars (oh
say it's not so!) have the emissions equiptment "neutered" there are a lot
of open float bowl vents on cars allowing fuel to literally evaporate up
and out of the float bowl after shut down.   so low fuel level in a float
bowl combined with (if it sat long enough between runs!) a slow to build
pressure machanical pump could lead to what may be concieved as "hard
starting" symptoms.    remember we live in a world of fuel injected
electronic ignition vehicles wich give "instant gratification" at the turn
of a key!   the days for most cars owners of knowing how to "throttle" a
manual choke as an engine catches , begins to run and warms up are nearly
as far removed from today's cars as trying to explain how to drive a model
A ford to a rice rocket driving kid!
so, an electric fuel pump rewplacing a mechanical pump may improve a car's
ability to start or at the very least help. improve it!
john's probably experiencing a dried out float bowl or at the least a
greatly reduced fuel level and that combined with the fuel pressure
bleeding off over time allowing the head between the pump anr carb to drain
back just enough to possibly get the pump emptied out or very very low on
the required fuel to wet the two flap valves in the pump.
over the years i had a 56 chevy 235 6cyl show car.   it would sit in a
garage from fall untill spring's first show.   that car would literally dry
the float bowl, and the tank was lower than the pump and over time the fuel
level would drop (visible glass AC fuel filter bowl) literally siphoning
all fuel out of the line from the carb down to the frame length fuel line
well below the pump.   needless to say it was a difficult car to start
after sitting a while.

chuck.