Re: Rollbars

To: "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rollbars
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:41:15 -0700 reply-type=original
Keep the head rests, odds of being rear-ended are greater than that of a
rollover.

If I'm not mistaken, grade 8 bolts are less prone to stretch, ie more
brittle.  In an accident, I think you'd want the bolts to stretch, not snap.
I'd go with the regular grade bolts.

Large thick washers designed for seat belt mounting work great on the
underside of the car.  You want to distribute the stress over as large an
area as possible.  From new some of the better roll bars had flat plate
steel that went on the underside to distribute the stress.  Also I'd use
nylock nuts so that they don't vibrate themselves loose.

David Riker
davriker@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/davriker/
http://community.webshots.com/user/fool4mg