Re: front sway bar

To: BCAH@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front sway bar
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:45:45 GMT j5CEjexo020636
No, Bob...it didn't.

But later Spridgets did...9/16ths....and the
later A-arms came pre-drilled for same.

Otherwise, what Roger has already said in his post.

The smaller 9/16ths bar takes out a bit of
the original oversteer which together with it's 1/4 elliptic rear springs
accounted for
the Frog's terrific maneuverability at town
traffic speeds....it could "dart around" like
the devil. The small bar "calms" this trait
and makes the vehicle more directionally
stable at some small loss of "tossability" but
with an increase in "grip", all else being
equal, without unduly affecting front end
ride harshness.

The larger bars will have the car virtually
cornering on rails with much more of an
understeering tendency until you really get
to higher limited access highway speeds....
makes the car much more directionally
stable. But you'll lose a good deal (if not
all) of the vehicle's low speed "tossability"
which made the stock car such a joy to
maneuver around in trafffic at lower speeds.

IOW, with the heavier bars you move the
"tossabilty" factor to the upper speed ranges. The heavier bars will also resist
downward front wheel travel over uneven
road surfaces to some extent so expect a more harsh front end ride to this
extent over less than smooth road surfaces.

I used to commute to work on limited access highways and had a 3/4" front bar.
Made the vehicle very directionally stable at normal highway speeds of 60-80.

Since today I'm doing merely town driving,
I've removed the bar for better low speed
maneuverability and now run "bar-less" for
a better ride over town roads, the surfaces
of which generally leave a lot to be desired
in these days of tight town $$$ budgets!! :):)

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog