Heater Tap--Internal Washer?

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Tap--Internal Washer?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:49:46 -0400
   Ok, now I got a question. Maybe somebody can help: Does the heater tap have
a washer or O-ring under the 11/16 nut that the shaft passes through? I got
this thing apart and it looks like there was once something in there. I can`t
tell if it is a rotten washer or just crud built up over the years.
   I`ve been redoing the cooling system in the Bug, hoses, pump,
thermostat--usually not much of a job except I made it one. Stripping and
painting the brackets and radiator and heater box was the start, foolish
enough in this heat; but I`ve never learned to leave well enough alone.
     So, I wanted to change the thermostat, too, just cause it was there.
There a long time, it seems. The blasted elbow is stuck tight. Not just
stubborn, locked in a death grip around the studs like the mummy`s hand around
the sacred jewel of Amen Ra. Everything was going well up till then. After a
day of banging and prying and spraying penetrating fluid, my back is killing
me, and I suppose I`m going to have to cut the elbow off with the Dremel. You
can`t imagine how much I`m looking forward to that pleasure. Anyway, Moss is
sending the replacement, be here by Thursday. All I need now is to see it
either looks like it came off a Toyota truck or that it otherwise won`t
fit...There`s a lesson here. If it ain`t broke, leave it alone. Gheese!
     Heater tap washer? Thanks.
Regards,

Bert Shirey
60 Bugeye/ 66 Midget