RE: Head gaskets?

To: <dmeadow@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Head gaskets?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:29:55 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Why wouldn't you use the lube that ARP includes with the set?  Do you mean
that both of the rocker studs should be 35 ft/lb, isn't one side actually a
head stud?  I have never used the copper head gaskets, so really can't
comment on them.  I can say I have always used Fel-Pro gaskets without any
problems.  I would also be interested in exactly how you retorque the head.
                Crash

Probably more important, though, is your head torquing procedure.

First, you need flat surfaces.  Both the head and block need to be
smooth.  If you've run through three headgaskets without truing the head
and block, you probably need to have it done.

Then you need to install ARP studs, if you haven't already.

I use a copper headgasket spray, as well, although opinions differ.

Torque initially to 60lbs, in sequence, 10-15lbs at a time, lubricating
the studs/nuts with a little motor oil or moly lube.  Ignore the ARP
instructions and just do it.  Remember the rocker studs don't need this
torque, 35lbs is plenty.

Adjust the valves.

Run the engine up to temperature at lower rpms, let it cool down
overnight, then retorque.  Readjust the valves.

The next time you run the car, retorque the head again once you've let it
sit overnight.  Readjust the valves.

Probably a good idea to retorque the head and readjust the valves after
every race weekend.

David Littlefield