More clutch problems

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: More clutch problems
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:02:53 -0500
Group!  I have a friend in Minnesota who is trying to get a Bugeye
running for his wife.
He has been having trouble with not enough slave cylinder travel to
disengage the clutch.
I forwarded the recent mails on pushrod length and bent forks to him and
the following is his reply:

> Hello Dave.
>
> Yes the engine and tranny came out before BRIC.
>
> I think "Crash" may be mistaken on the material, it looks like a
> forging to me. If it was cast (ignoring the unlikely possibility of
> ductile) he would be right it wouldn't bend, it would break.
>

> Here are my current observations, all of which are consistent with
> everything being the correct parts for a 948:
>

> Throw Out Bearing has 1/2 offset.
>

> Clutch Disk is 6 1/4 inch diameter.
>

> Pressure plate fits disk perfectly (and is to small for a 6 1/2 inch
> 1275 disk I had that came in the pile of loose parts along with the car).
>

> The smoothcase fork, while appearing at a glance to be slightly
> curved, actually has all three centerlines (pushrod hole / pivot bolt
> hole / throw out bearing) in line. Centerline to centerline spacing on
> the holes appears to be 2 1/4 and 4 < respectively.
>

> Push Rod is a 2 3/8.
>

> However, assembled with this set up, when the throw out bearing makes
> contact with the pressure plate, there is about 3/16 to 1/8 inch
> travel left in the slave cylinder. The external portion of the fork is
> not sticking out straight from the side of the case, but angled to the
> rear of the car about 3/8 inch at the centerline of the pushrod hole.
> Most importantly, the clutch will not disengage. When I put it
> together with a 1098 throw out bearing (with its 13/16 offset) all the
> geometry seems about right, but I want to know what is really going
> on, I don't want to use this as a band aid.
>
> The only thing left that I can imagine would be for the flywheel to be
> thinner then is normal. But there is no sign of it having been shaved
> 1/4 to 5/16.
>
> I guess this kind of stuff is where email works well, this would have
> been a bunch to make clear over the phone. Any ideas? Feel free to
> forward this on to anyone you think might know.
>
> Still plan to give you a call.
>
> BRGDS
>
> Eric

Can the group give Eric some assistance?  Maybe a road trip to the Twin
Cities coming up!  I will relay any comments.
Thanks,
Dave
59 :{)
friend's 64 +4