Rebuilding 1500 Tranny--Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuilding 1500 Tranny--Question
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:24:04 EDT
I am reassembling my 1500 tranny and have come to a problem that stopped me
momentarily.  First, I was very careful to line everything up the way it came
off the mainshaft and input shaft so I would be able to get everything back
into the case in some semblance of the way it came out.

Now, I have the mainshaft back in the case.  The laygear is laying in the
bottom with a 5/8" piece of doweling inserted to keep the needle bearings in
place.  I placed the caged roller bearing into the input shaft and began to
insert
it into the front of the case.  As I was doing so, I looked at my Haynes.

A couple of questions and possible problems popped up:  First, I have no
spacer on in front of or behind the caged roller bearing on the input shaft.
There is one shown in Haynes.  Perhaps someone left it out of my tranny on last
rebuild?  Is there supposed to be a spacer on one side or the other of the
caged
roller bearing on the input shaft?

Secondly, the Haynes diagram shows the spacer in front of the caged roller
bearing while the assembly picture in Haynes shows the spacer BEHIND the caged
roller bearing.  If there indeed IS supposed to be one, on which side does it
go?

Thanks for any input.

--David C.   8^)