RE: Signing off for awhile

To: awboat@labyrinth.net
Subject: RE: Signing off for awhile
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:59:41 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy:

Did not make it to WVa this year, but did have a great weekend in Kentucky.

Ushuaia?  In 1976, my new wife and I set off from Pittsburgh to Alaska in
our truck, then headed south along the Pacific coast.  We sold the truck in
Sequim, WA for $500 and started hitching, but after a frightening ride over
the mountains in California with two very intoxicated construction workers
in an old Cadillac (who thought they were driving to Vegas but were actually
heading west!), we started taking Greyhounds south-- one day's journey at a
time....day after day, with rests whenever we felt like it.  We took
whatever was available when there wasn't some sort of bus... we begged rides
from truckers, or took boats, barges, dug-out canoes, 2 short hops by jet
and 1 in a rented single-engine plane, and 1 rented horse, and we made it to
Ushuaia 7 1/2 months later.  Biggest expenditure was food and lodging: we
averaged $7.50 per day for the two of us!

The return trip went up the Atlantic, but at the end of Carnival in Rio, my
wife said, "This is one shitty idea for a honeymoon, I'm flyin' home and you
can get lost!"  It took me another 3 months to get back to Pittsburgh, the
day before what was supposed to be our 1st anniversary.  Sort of had to
start the courtship all over again.  29 years later, things are better than
ever, but she lets me do the adventures without her now.  Fortunately, our
oldest son turned out to be a natural vagabond with an insatiable
wanderlust.

JohnD