clutch fork progress

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch fork progress
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:22:09 -0500
I have the engine back in, have a few questions.
Clutch WILL release now, so this is good.
Since this is my first LBC, need to see if it's really working correctly.
Prior to replacing the fork, the piston went out to the circlip and I could
NOT bleed the hydraulics to save my butt. There was still play in the push rod
at this point.
NOW in a resting position the piston is back in the bore about an inch or so,
the clutch does not release until the piston is within about 1/16-1/8" from
the circlip. I believe the clutch is now bled correctly, I was having
problems, I think my wife would hit resistance on the pedal when the piston
came to the circlip and was backing off on the pedal, I thought it was being
caused by air, the piston was slowly backing off from the circlip, although
with the pedal depressed like that, I would get a small rush of air out the
bleeder screw, unsure if this really was air in the system, or caused by
excess hydraulic pressure (similar to a cavitation effect?) with the pedal
held down.
There does seem to be a spring in the slave that pushes out on the piston, I
believe this keeps the clutch adjusted, is this correct, and also is the
clutch not releasing until out to almost the circlip normal or a sign of a
problem? Will it maybe get better when I get to drive the car, or will that
make it worse or no effect?
I believe I can adjust the pedal so that I'll be happy with where the pedal is
when the clutch does release, is this also correct?
Dan