Re: gas boycott*

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com, bgreen99@frontiernet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gas boycott*
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:06:58 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/05 9:39:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Dbcooper292@aol.com writes:
> it almost makes you wonder what good
> we could do if everyone wasn't driving a car the size of a house doesn't it?

Actually, aside from the oil companies and the politicians in power getting
filthy rich and garnering more power from it, the rise in gasoline prices may
be a blessing in disguise.  Americans have been on notice since the early '70's
that the oil/gasoline supply was finite, but have ignored that fact to the
tune of producing more and more huge, heavy, gasoline-guzzling vehicles and
paying little attention to public transportation.  Perhaps high-enough gasoline
prices will exterminate the metal monstors and force us to build, purchase, and
drive more sensible automobiles in our day to day.  And perhaps put some of
that gas money into a transportation infrastructure.  We used to have a pretty
good and thorough train and bus system, but that went by the wayside in favor
of the one person to a car commute--an extension, I am sure of our heritage:
the one person to a horse thing of the 1800's.  8^)