aluminum trim restoration and electrical switches

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: aluminum trim restoration and electrical switches
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:35:05 -0500
For my Mk2, I should get the 2 small curved pieces of interior aluminum
surround molding/moulding refinished.
The ones on top of the door are no prizes either. I've seen an entire cockpit
surround molding "kit" at VB for the bugeye, pretty pricey. I'm not sure if
anyone sells just the door moldings new. So here is what I have so far:
A professional refinishing shop will restore them, although they say
reanodizing "doesn't work", but can otherwise de-scratch and polish them,
approx $35/foot, I have 6 feet to refinish in all (door moldings and 2 sets of
the small curved pieces, I have an extra set I may as well do). OR does anyone
have any advice as far as doing this type of work myself. And is it true
reanodizing doesn't "work"? I'd rather not have to buy any equipment to
refinish with, I do have an air powered die grinder.
Second, I have received a set of the 3 toggle switches for on my dash, is
there any way to get the "toggles" looking nice? These are all chipped up and
looks like the black paint is worn off, leaving a transcluscent,
orangish-looking plastic.
Gilly