RE: Gas Storage and aviation fuel

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gas Storage and aviation fuel
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:40:35 -0700
Vigil,

Hmmm.... I was told by the local VP racing fuel dealer that if I wanted to
keep racing fuel in storage for more than a couple of months, I should buy
it in sealed metal drums. He said once the gas is pumped in an open
container, plastic or metal, it will keep for a month or two at best. That
being said,  I use STA-BIL (available at any lawnmower shop) in the gas tank
of my racing Bugeye, and I have no problem starting the car, even  with two
year old racing gas in the tank!

I did consider using aviation fuel in my Lotus, as its Twin Cam engine does
not work well with unleaded street gas, even premium... but after talking to
various experts, I decided not to do it. By the way, blending pump gas with
leaded gas will raise the octane more than the math suggests, due to the
effect of the lead.

This is what a Mr. Wurth, who works for Sunoco, had to say about using
aviation fuel in an interview for Popular Hot Rodding magazine in January
1998:

"Don't do it.  Even though Sunoco is a major producer of aviation fuel, this
fuel is specifically blended for aircraft engines.  Aircraft operate under
very different conditions than automobiles, and the fuel requirements are
quite different as well.  Aircraft engines generally use very small pistons
and run with in a very narrow rpm range.  There's no need for transient
throttle response in an airplane because after the pilot does the initial
engine run-up, the throttle is set in one position and the rpm doesn't
normally change until landing.  Also, airplanes fly where the air is cold
and thin, and the atmospheric pressure is low.  These are not even close to
the conditions your street machine will see on the ground.  Also, since most
piston-driven aircraft cruise at 3,000 rpm or so, the burn rate of aviation
gas is much too slow for any high performance automotive applications."

I have a copy of the whole article, by the way. Interesting what Mr. Wurth
says about racing gas, octane boosters, etc.

But you do what you must... and if you store gas, I suggest using STA-BIL .
I use it in my tractor, race car, chain saw, lawnmower...

Regards from  JLC in San Diego