Haunting Sprite day

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Haunting Sprite day
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:39:03 -0400
The other day in my local newspaper was an ad for a "62 Bugeye Sprite"
for $2500. I did not call. Saturday I couldn't stand it so I had to call.
Got a machine and left my number. Today I get a call about the Sprite.
Well it's not a 62, ir's a 65, it has 105,000 miles not 5,000 like the
ad says. I say OK, where are you located? Toms River right off
Washington St.
I know where that is and can be there in 5 minutes.
My son jumps in a Sprite with me and says I think it's your old red
Bugeye. I saw it over here a few years back.
In the driveway is a green metalflake bugeyed MKIII Sprite. Just like my
old red one I sold back in 1988. The bonnet was up and there was some of
my old handywork. It was my old car. I sold it for $750 back in 1988,
it's been painted but still is a real mess and needs a total
restoration. I told the seller it used to be mine, he bought it off a
girl, the girl I sold it to way back when. So he says he will drop $300
off the price. So now I can get a rusted out MKIII Sprite with a barely
running 948 for $2200! I said not today it's about 2,000 more than it's
worth to me. It's one of those drive it home THEN sweep it up cars.

So off to the annual local beach end of summer picknick where I had my
fill of shrimp, clams, corn, and beers. And while chatting with a couple
I have never met, the "where do you live" conversation came up. I told
them up on the corner and she said "Oh across from the guy with all
those Brit cars?" I said I AM that guy.
Turns out her father has a 60 Bugeye that he rolled back in 62. Killed
his brother in the mishap and the car has sat dry in Long Island ever
since. She nows inherited it and wants to either restore it or "get it
to me if it can't be restored".
She didn't want to just knock on my door and talk Sprites.
I said why not, everybody else does. :)
So I hope to see it in the near future. I would hope it can be salvaged
for her but if not, a 2 year old Bugeye parts car sure wouldn't be a bad
thing.
She was talking to her husband about rounding up a trailer when I left.

So my old Sprite comes back to haunt me, and a local girl who lost her
uncle in a Sprite "may" come to haunt me.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ