RE: pertronix/points/crane - Strange Happening

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>, "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net> j8MGDKA4028251
Subject: RE: pertronix/points/crane - Strange Happening
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:13:26 -0500
 Hi Cap'n Bob, I just wanna pass on some info to you and anyone else who
uses Pertronix.  This happened to me a few days ago:  My Austin Marina
(18V engine with Pertronix) which normally runs like a scalded dawg
began to run really rough.  No. 1 cyl had a dead miss.  Examining
everything I could think of (wires, rotor, cap, intake leak....so on)
turned up nothing.  No. 1 just wasn't firing.  Now I always heard that
electronic ignition worked right or it didn't work at all...nothing
between.  Not so.  There is a Mechanical part of the Pertronix (the
rotor-magnet assembly) which fits over the cam lobes of the dist shaft.
That assembly has a top cover and a separate base piece which were
apparently supposed to be permanently attached to each other.
Sandwiched between these are the magnets that cause the plug cables to
fire.  Well, the base and the cover came from together.  They can't move
very far apart because of the very limited space they have to work in.
Anyway, they separated just enough for one of the magnets to become
displaced a tiny amount.  The other three were still in place.  My local
LBC parts supplier gave me a new rotor from another kit he had in stock
and he told me that the manufacturer should warranty this apparent mfg.
defect.  Anyway, the new rotor took care of the problem and all's happy
again.  If this problem happens to one of ya'll, take a look at the
Pertronix rotor before you send your car to the scrap yard.
Just FYI,
Jack