Re: Ethanol

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@sympatico.ca>, "'Spridget List '" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ethanol
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:15:26 GMT j97DHiQ5012459
Bob....ethanol = ethyl (TEL) without the lead.

while our engines are certainly not FFV's
which can use 85/15 % ethanol/gasoline, they certainly should have no problem
with
low level ethanol/gasoline mixes of 10%
ethanol.

Now that MTBE is gone, I expect I will be
using fuels containing 10% ethanol this
winter. I expect no problems as such low
concentrations. May have to change filters
more often and use a little more "dry gas"
to limit water in the fuel though.

Ethanol is an octane-enhancer and also cleans up emissions as well. It's a
little more
expensive to produce than gasoline but with tax incentives, it should be about
equal.

At higher concentrations, it's an excellent
cleaner of fuel systems. Which can cause a
lot of problems with old fuel systems for
obvious reasons. You'd be changing filters
like crazy for a while I guess!!! It removes
corrosion, etc. Really cleans things up I'm
told. Maybe even some aftermarket coatings on our older, "re-built" tanks??

But at only 10%, my mech says we shouldn't be a problem.

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog