Re: dead tach any leads?

To: Charlie Shelden <shelden3@pldi.net>
Subject: Re: dead tach any leads?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:56:52 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Charlie Shelden wrote:

> Once again a lurker must arise.  I've just about finished a new wiring
> harness install into a 1974 Midget.  Everything pretty much works as it
> should with the exception of the tach.

I believe the 74 Midget went to a 1 wire tach that was connected to the
neg side of the coil.
If you have a 2 wire tach (2 white wires that is) does your new harness
have the 2 white bullets for the tach?
If so, the tach change must have been late in 74.
Kevin!! You have a few 74s. Can you confirm?
A quick check to know if it's a 1 wire tach is the face plate screws are
verticle instead of horizonal.

Charlie, that spade connector on the can is just a ground but it's a
good idea to run a new, extra ground to that spade. Otherwise the tach
is only grounded via the black wire on the thumb screw which is barely
enough ground to light the dash lamp.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ