Re: British Number Plates

To: Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net>
Subject: Re: British Number Plates
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:04:29 -0500
Cc: Dean Swanson <d.swanson@earthlink.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
On 10/24/05, Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net> wrote:

> The first three letters indicate the county where the vehicle was first
> registered. The letter at the end of the plate tells you the year of
> registration - in this case, 1965 if my memory serves me right. By the
> way,
> the "registration year" started on the first of August.

 Hmmm. I don't recall anything like that from back in the late 60s. I lived
in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire from 1965 thru 1970 and had a
number of different cars. Each had totally different letters and all were
first registred in Bucks. My 1946 TC was KPP 123. I had a mate with
an MG J and an PA midget and both were originally registered in Bucks
and each had different letters. To the best of my knowledge there is
no decode of the Brit registrations unless it came into being after 1970.
If you look in books at the very early cars you'll find only one or two
letters and one or two numbers whereas nowadays there seem to
be almost more of them than can be fit on a plate! And, yes, I do know
what an "L" tag means. Does anyone remember what a yellow tag
(as opposed to white) means.... ;-)
 Cheers!!
Jim - he of the inert midget in Dodge City
--
1964 R60/2
1968 MG Midget