Now Acetone

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Now Acetone
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:22 -0400
I have been using acetone for a little while now. I have seen an improvement in
my milage but it is in the 10 - 15 % range. I read up on it and according to
what I have read it does not harm modern day fuel systems. I would be hesitant
to try it in my spridgets however. The reason I say this is because while I was
looking for a measuring instrument for the acetone I tried a plastic baby
bottle. I figured with the measurements on the bottle, it would be perfect. The
first time I used it the bottle discolored and the second time it just cracked
and fell into pieces. Granted, it was probably a cheap chinese POS but the
acetone destroyed it in no time.

Since our old cars have real rubber and early compound plastics I am just
concerned that the stuff will eat the soft parts right out of the fuel system.
Of course, it would be diluted by the time it came into contact will the parts
that I am worried about...

My 03 Cavalier (2.2 L, 5 speed) got between 33.5 and 38.5 mpg on a trip to
Florida last month in spite of running at 75 mph with the air on. My last tank
showed 35.5 mpg for combined city/hwy driving. My 2000 Blazer (6 cyl, 5
speed)also got 22 mpg hwy on a trip to Tennessee recently. Again, 70 - 75 mph,
a/c on and hauling a dirt bike on a hitch rack!

YMMV,
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1972 Midget - Goner