Free car?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Free car?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:59:51 -0800
Hello all.  Phil Jones from Seattle WA here.  I have stumbled across the
opportunity to acquire a '75 Midget for free.  Owner has a short time to
live and executor is trying to clear up things prior to the owner's demise.
I went and took a peek at it today.  I was pleasantly surprised - it's been
sitting in a carport covered by black plastic for a number of years (7?) and
was surrounded by the usual assortment of old lawnmowers, miscellaneous
parts, angle iron (!), other cars (an early RX-7 and a later-model
Mercedes), etc.  I was able to uncover it, but not able to do a thorough
inspection.  I noted some amount of surface rust, but no obviously
perforated sheet metal.  Panel fit looked good (better than on my "restored"
car!), although I thought there was a lot of room (~1 inch) between the
rubber bumper and the leading edge of the hood.  It has one minor ding below
the trunk in the rear.  It has a hardtop installed - an aftermarket version
with the black vinyl on the outside.  I think that I saw the soft-top folded
in position inside the car.  (Hard to tell - the car is full of boxes).  It
appears that most of the car is there.  I saw that the air cleaner was
missing; the interior door handle on the passenger's side was missing; the
drivers side headlight trim ring was off but I think that I saw it in the
passenger compartment.  It used to be white, but now I'd call it "oxidized".
Kind of mottled white and grey.  It's sitting up on stacked concrete blocks,
all tires are flat (it's got rostyles, BTW).

Any local interest?  I already have a BGT and a Midget.  I'd like to have a
project Midget for my 3-year old (I'm the anti-Frank when it comes to
project progress), but I was hoping for a 1275-engined version so that I
would have parts commonality with my current car.  I'm going to tell the
executor that I'll take it; and either hold it for a lister or perhaps eBay
it later.  If a lister does want it, I'll politely request some remuneration
for the cost of the flatbed to get it to my house, etc.

Let me know what you think, and/or if you are interested!

Phil