Re: [midgetsprite] Seat belts - frogeye

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com, Austin_Healey_Sprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Seat belts - frogeye
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:07:05 -0800
JEFFREY JACKSON wrote:

>     I have not checked, but I bet there are no standard fittings
>     already built in as the car predates the UK legislation that
>     required them [seatbelts] to be fitted. Handbook is no help.
>
>     Has anyone any detail of the best fixing points?

Seat belts came as a factory installed "option" as early as the October
1959 build period.  As far as being an "option", that simply meant that
they were installed on some, and if you wanted a Sprite, and the dealer
had received one with seat belts, you paid for the "option".  They were
very rudimentary, but still better than the "none" on American cars at
the time.   I can send you photos off-line of the belts and part that
fixed to the sheet metal floor, held in place by 3" steel plates.  The
"fixing point" was wherever Joe Bloggs decided to drill a hole in the
sheet metal next to the seat that day.  Strangely enough, even these
rudimentary seat belts met SCCA racing reqiorements in force as late as
1963.  (Of course the same regulations allowed a "roll-bar" to be bolted
onto the sheet metal hump in back of the seats.)

Buster Evans