finding things vs. luck

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: finding things vs. luck
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:41:56 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
So, what's the secret in finding these cars, or anything else for that
matter?

Right place at the right time, for sure. Luck has something to do with it.
Sometimes they fall out of the sky, and you can catch them.

Being know, whether it's locally, nationally, or internationally as a
serious collector can get you visibility. This will get you an e-mail or a
phone call from others when they find something of interest. If that's being
"well connected", then, so be it. You just don't hang a shingle, or stand
out in your front yard an announce it. It takes years of networking to
accomplish. Also, when something historically significant shows up, it won't
be brought to the attention of a guy that's known to turn them for a profit,
or destroy the originality, etc. The guy that had my Donald Healey Motor Co.
prepared Stage V car, the Bishop, was going to grind off the Leaf Green
paint, ditch the original race motor for a 1275, etc. Fred Hunter, who owns
NOJ 391 was going to let a high school shop class restore his car until Tom
Kovacs and Steve Pike discovered its Special Test Car origin underneath its
now 100S skin. Roger Menadue and Geoff Healey confirmed it all, and I filmed
it in "Just in Time". http://www.thicko.com/videos.htm

(no longer in print, so, don't try to order it. maybe again someday).

My brother is a SERIOUS vintage go-kart collector, and he's pushing close to
60 karts now. He spends a LOT of time going to swap meets, being there the
moment they open, and has a real eye for seeing something under a table, or
leaned up against a truck. So, legwork is involved.

Following up on leads, rumors, etc. is hugely important in the process.
There are cars I've been tracking for 10+ years.

Cash. Ya gotta have the cake set aside to snatch these things up when they
peek out of their hiding places. If it's the right car."you'll never pay too
much. just buy too soon". What does that mean? Think Bugeyes are ever going
to go significantly down in price? Find the right one. the one you've been
looking for, pay the price. Some folks let negotiating ego get in the way of
paying a fair price for something. I've sold upwards of $95 million dollars
worth of "stuff" in my career, and the best sale is one that's mutually
beneficial. Don't let the car you've always wanted get away for a few
hundred dollars.

Brother Don and I have been doing this stuff for 40 years. and the chase is
half the fun.

WST