Re: was re: engine run-in procedure, now not sure

To: "MICHAEL CARPENTER" <MAIL4CARPENTERS@peoplepc.com>, "de Brebisson, Cyrille \(Calculator Division\)" <cyrille@hp.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: was re: engine run-in procedure, now not sure
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:00:30 -0800
OK, Michael, this is what I do.  Your mileage may vary, etc.!

Installing the camshaft and lifters requires you to use the special lubes
supplied by the cam grinder.  Don't ignore that, as the first few minutes is
critical to the cam and lifter break in.  DON'T use an oil with the API SJ
rating. It has almost no ZDDP in it, a common additive, zinc dialkyl
dithiophosphate (ZDDP), an anti-wear and antioxidant additive. I use a 10-40
and change it at a few hundred miles.  This additive is helpful for breaking
in critical sliding surfaces, such as cam lobes and lifters, as is the
Parkerizing of the cam and lifters.  That process produces a texturing that
holds oil well.  It's a phosphate etch process.

Before installing the completed engine in the car. I use an external oil
pump and a special fitting on the big nut on the banjo line that leads to
the oil filter.  I pump oil in there until the entire system is full,
filter, oil pumps and all galleys, and oil dripping from the rocker arms.

Then it's into the car, hook up all the lines, fill with coolant, etc., top
up the crankcase, with the spark plugs out, turn over the engine with the
starter until oil pressure registers.  Usually only a few revolutions.  Then
it's plugs in, hook up their wires, already is static timed, and fire it up,
after a brief carb fill up from the electric pump.  Now keep the revs up to
a couple of thousand for about 15 or 20 minutes.  Vary the speed a bit while
your checking for coolant and oil leaks.

After that, take it for a spin around the block and if all works as the car
is supposed to take it for a drive.  Avoid idling for the next 20 mins. or
so and that about takes care of the initial start up.

I've used this procedure faithfully after nearly ruining an engine by a
rather dry start up!  Goofs can be very good learning events!!

Good luck,  Paul A