Re: Cap'n Bob and driving distances

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Cap'n Bob and driving distances
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:41:10 -0600
Cc: KGB <kgb@frontiernet.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Cap'n Bob wrote:
On 12/5/05, Robert E. Shlafer <pilotrob@webtv.net> wrote:

> "'more close calls' on motorcycles"
>
> Oh, sure. No doubt about this. I was neither a military pilot or test
> pilot.
>
> You guys who race? The same.
> Far greater risk of physical injury per outing for sure.

Yeah. Raced both cars & motorcycles (road racing that is - not
those damed dirt squirts that beat the holy hell outta ya!!)  With
road racing on a motorcycle it's not a matter of IF you go down,
but WHEN.  Oh the stories.....   I'll spare you for now, but I was
lucky and never even broke a bone. Went through a whole lotta
leathers though   ;-)

IMHO, airline flying is the safest form
> of flying there is.
>
> Which does not mean the airline pilot
> may not have his "moments". And when
> he/she does, there are usually a lot of people who's welfare is
> involved....most of whom aren't on the airplane riding behind you.

Too true!!  Was right seating in a Lear 25D once over the southeast
when a lightning strike took all the instruments at night. Didn't even
have landing lights.  Musta cut about 100 donut holes outta the seat
and I wasn't even the one that had to do the work!  My old mentor
once described flying as, "Hours and hours of boredom punctuated
by moments of stark terror".  Not sure my old ticker would handle
it anymore!!

Cheers!!
Jim - he of the stagnant Midget in Dodge City