Interior panels all mailed (with apologies)

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, bugeye@yahoogroups.com, Austin_Healey_Sprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Interior panels all mailed (with apologies)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:19:36 -0800
Finally. Today I took the last batch of interior panel patterns to the
post office, and those of you who have not received them yet should have
them in the next few days. I apologize for having taken far longer than
I had originally thought necessary. There was a far greater need for the
patterns than I think anyone could have anticipated. All I can plead are
the holidays, the flu not covered by this years flu shot, and a couple
of trips following the paramedics and my wife to the emergency room. (If
anyone who requested them does not receive them in the next couple of
weeks, just throw a rock in my direction.)

After I had sent out the first (or was it the second) batch, I
discovered in my files an invaluable article that Frank Clarici had
written for PDLJMPR, and have enclosed it in this last mailing. For
those of you that did not receive it earlier, I am reprinting it below.

I have made an extra set of masonite patterns, so if in the future
anyone should need the cardboard patterns, I will be happy to provide them.

Buster Evans
Interior Panels for Side Curtain Models - by Frank Clarici
Are your interior panels warped, ripped, or non existent? You can do it
yourself for about $60 in a Saturday afternoon in any color imaginable
including hot pink. The items you will need are:
4 X 8 sheet of 1/8" hardboard (masonite)
3M spray adhesive #74 or #77
1pint of Weldwood brand contact glue ( the flammable kind)
3 yards of quality vinyl
tools - jigsaw, drill, razor knife
The procedure:

Pick up a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/8" masonite at any lumber or home center,
using your old panels as a template, mark the sheet and cut out panels
using a jigsaw. If your car has no interior panels use cardboard to make
templates. (There are 2 inner fender panels, 2 lower footwell panels, 1
in front of the shifter over the hump, 2 rocker panels, 2 panels that go
over the rear wheel wells and cover the rear 1/4 panels, and the 2 door
pockets.)

On the wheel well panels mark the hood stick brackets drill a hole large
enough for your jigsaw blade and cut out the square hole. If your car
has seat belts that attach to the rockers, make a notch for them. Sand
the edges of the masonite. Mark each piece for its location and mark the
back side so you won't get confused when covering them.

Lay out the vinyl on a clean work bench and cut about 2" larger in each
direction then the panel to be covered.

With the spray glue coat the back of the vinyl and the front of the
panel, let the glue stand for 1 minute and press the panel onto the
vinyl, turn it over and check for bubbles or wrinkles.

Now using the contact cement, coat the exposed vinyl over lap and the
back side of the masonite with 2 coats allowing 30 minutes drying time
between coats. This step also water proofs the panel.

When the 2nd coat is dry, cut off the corners leaving 1/8" long to cover
the edge, fold the vinyl over the back of the panel and press in place.
For inside curves, cut slits in the vinyl and fold over. For the holes
in the wheel well panels, cut an X diagonally through vinyl and fold
over. The door pockets may be a little tricky but patients and time will
result in a good finished product.

When installing your new panels carefully align the fender panels and
drill the holes for the door check straps. Use a #6 X 1/2" self drilling
screw with finishing washers to reinstall the panels taking care not to
screw through the rear wiring harness leg when working on the right side
of the car.

Are you ready to cover the dashboard? Go ahead, glue, stick, stretch,
and fold. Cut out for the instruments.

Good luck,

If you do NOT agree with these ideas, if you are "mechanically
challenged" or are just down right "stupid" I suggest you perchase New
parts from a supplier of your choice and have a local shop do this work
for you.

Frank Clarici