Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bolt and thread question, now back to the plate!.

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bolt and thread question, now back to the plate!...
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:08:02 -0800
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Jim,

A spark in the nether regions of my brain has just been set off!

Thinking back on some of your previous posts, you wrote about some misgivings
to the shattered condition of your pilot bush.  Now you've written about a
brazed on oil pump cover.

As I recall, you have a 1275 engine in your car.  With the info above, I'm
wondering if you have an incorrect engine backing plate.

The 1275 has a thick plate with the oil pump cover pinched in place between
the backing plate and the backing plate gasket with the gasket against the
block.  The 1275 pump cover does NOT have MOWOG stamped into it, but rather a
raised circle about 3/4" in diameter

The 1098 has the same arrangement with the gasket and cover, but the cover has
MOWOG stamped into it.  Both the 1098 and 1275 backing plates are 3/8" thick.
They do have the pump cover in a slightly different location between the 1098
and the 1275.

The 948 came with a soldered on pump cover that was prone to fatiguing the
solder and then leaking a lot of oil.  It was soldered onto the transmission
side of the plate.   The plate was also a stamped steel one with a partially
rolled edge to give it some stiffness.

Now, if a thin plate is used on a 1275 block, it will fit, but not properly,
then the trans input shaft will go too deep into the end of the crankshaft,
possible bottoming out and damaging the input shaft bearing, or just deep
enough to work, in either case possibly damaging the pilot bush.

As for the clearance between the flywheel and the pump cover, that's usually
about .050-.060".  Not a lot, but plenty.

So, what is the thickness of the plate in use on your engine?
How is the cover brazed to the plate?
What is the part number cast into the plate?

Paul A