Re: What is Wrong with This Back Plate!

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: What is Wrong with This Back Plate!
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:15:01 -0800 reply-type=original
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jim,

That is NOT a 1275 backpate.  Its for a 948 cc.  Your observation that it is
"3/8" thick is also not the case.  You are counting the lip, which does not
come into play when fitted to the block.  The correct backplate is 3/8"
thick everywhere, and does not have a curled edge.  The pilot shaft will
protrude too deep into the back of the crank.  The brazed on oil pump cover
is brazed onto the wrong side of the plate as a way of making do with the
wrong parts.  A proper, much deeper, oil pump cover should be pushed through
the other side such that the lip is clampled between the block and the
backplate.  It looks like a PO did everything he could to make do with what
he had.  Kind of the ultimate "we tight" job.

I'm sure Paul A. is burning up the keyboard even as I send this.

Regards,
Glen