Further seat questions, recovering seats, long

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Further seat questions, recovering seats, long
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:13:29 -0600
Hi all
Getting some work done on the seats today. The lower cushion is done, I am
relatively happy with it, I used the old style "D" clips to put it together.
At the front of the cushion assembly, the seat pan seemed to press pretty hard
against the cover, then dawned on me that if I had more "stuffing" under the
front of the cover in the upper part, above the pan, that it'd probably look
fine. I have an upper and lower recent MB seat cover set that were going to be
tossed (inop seat heaters) that I could use to get some extra stuffing, so cut
some strips of this padding and took off the front clips, and got a strip of
padding in there, seems to be filled in a bit better now.
The backrest isn't totally done, I habe a question I want to ask before going
forward with clipping it down. I got the replacement pad from AH Spares,
instead of foam it's the original style "jute" or "horsehair" padding. On my
old seatbacks I still have the original sheets of felt covering the back of
the backrest, folds over to cover the edge of the backrest, then the just pad
lays on this, plus I have some of the old cotton batting to fill the gap along
the edge. I also have the old padding that goes around the "ears" where the
backrest attaches to the seat frame and have got the new vinyl over these
ears, just down to the cover itself now, which I'm also going to try  using
the original D clips. I have the new backrest cover slipped on to one of the
backrests. Question is about getting a good shape on the edge, the covers are
red with white piping, and the piping, especially on one side, isn't very
straight, has a few curves or bends in the piping. Unsure if this would maybe
fix itself with use (being out on a hot sunny day, someone sitting in the
seat, etc), or if this is the way it's going to stay. Thought maybe someone
has been through this before. I could try to get some extra padding into the
edge of the backrest in this area to plump it up a bit.
Dan