Re: Spridget Bastardization

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spridget Bastardization
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:54:31 -0500
Sadly, this seller fits the profile for builders of kit and/or highly
modified cars. He has created something at great expense that has great
personal value but very little value in the open market.

His stated reserve of $16,000 probably roughly reflects his cost.
Unfortunately the value of these types of creation is in the activity of
building the car. I would be surprised if he is able to sell this car
for even a third of his reserve.

Some years ago I owned a Westfield 7, a car based on the Lotus 7. So
closely based on the 7, that they were successfully sued by Caterham.
Even though that car was but a tick away from a Caterham or Lotus 7, it
proved a very difficult car to sell.

Based on that experience, I would never own or build a car that wasn't a
recognized marque. My prediction is that the owner of the car in this
auction will continue to own this car for quite some time until he
accepts the reality of the market.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/