Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets

To: vintage.racer@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:17:51 EST
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
In a message dated 02/27/2006 2:41:04 AM Central Standard Time,
vintage.racer@comcast.net writes:

> I think that depends on the race organization.  Here in N.CA, the local
> club
> CSRG allows SA2000 and of course SA2005.  If one has an SA90 or SA95
> certified helmet, those are not allowed since the could be over ten years
> old and the helmets ability to perform properly is compromised.  Since
> SA2005 helmets are now available there is no reason to buy an SA2000 if a
> replacement is needed.

Amici:

I still look with a jaundiced eye at that statement, and similar.  I know
such proclamations come from people who are smarter and more knowledgeable than
I.  But they sure strike me as self serving.  While I can understand where
sanctioning bodies might require that helmets be relined from time to time
(because the lining deteriorates), unless they have been compromised by an
incident...why would they need to be replaced?

I guess my strong feelings in these matters come from the fact that early on
in my career I bought two complete sets of six point belt restraints.  I
thought I should have a spare on the shelf.  Well...while still brand new, the
second set was no longer legal by the time I got around to needing it.

Bill Dentinger

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
===     http://www.team.net/donate.html