Re: Racing on wire wheels?

To: bushwacker4@zoomtown.com
Subject: Re: Racing on wire wheels?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 00:43:12 -0600
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Kent sez:
> In the old days almost everyone raced on wire wheels. With the knock off caps
>they could change a wheel in very little time. All the big names ran wires,
>Ferrari, Astin Martin, etc.

In the late 60s I ran my '46  TC at Brands Hatch...   When you corner
hard and hear a "ping ping ping ping ping" that is the sound of
breaking spokes.  I run my '68 Midget hard in the corners (not on a
race track) and have never broken a spoke though I check their tension
regularly. Even the TC wasn't a huge problem unless you let the spoke
tension go south. On the other hand, truing up a spoke wheel is a
RPITA!!!

Cheers!!
Jim - disemboweled Midget in Dodge City
--