Twitchy Rear Ends

To: spritenut@comcast.net
Subject: Twitchy Rear Ends
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:49:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Frank,

  Make sure the front spring mounting plate has the correct sized bolts. Bugsy
my '68 Sprite had a problem with rear end wanting to come around when I'd go
into a corner hard. It turns out the P.O. had changed out springs and did not
reinstall with correct sized bolts. The whole front spring hanger was rotating
and moved almost 1/2" when I went into a corner. There was a V shaped groove
worn in the spring hanger plate that was not visible on all three mounting
holes as it was covered up by large washers. It was only when I took things
apart trying to do correct a problem with D.S. lean that I discovered the
problem. I only corrected by changing out both spring hangers only to find out
that the MOSS P.O.S. spring hangers needed to be ground down in order to fit
into place and bolt up correctly.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH