RE: GM Alternator

To: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>, "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GM Alternator
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 06:48:33 -0500
Haven't had one rebuilt in a good many years, so, I haven't had to deal with
India crap.  However, I suspect my rebuilder would be able to locate a
source for USA/UK/German made bearings, diodes & brushes.
BTW, the OE Lucas alternator in my '74 BGT lasted about 90,000 miles.  I had
it rebuilt, and it has done around 40,000 miles since then, in the B.  Seems
like, when I parked the B, to await restoration, that alternator went into
my '72 Midget, which has been running the same alternator for the last 16
years, although my annual mileage for that period is way down from "back in
the day".
But, thanks for the heads-up about the India crap.  I've got a '73 Midget
(35K orig. mi, one owner car) that will be ready for paint, this spring, and
I'll want to check the original alternator over before reinstalling it.  If
I'm successful in finding some replacement parts, made in a 1st world
country/western civilization, I'll share my source with the List.
Bud Osbourne