RE: Wide tires add HP?

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wide tires add HP?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:37:06 -0500
My race car has a Panhard rod.  It doesn't interfere with the exhaust, at
all.  However, a Watts Linkage is the really GOOD set-up.
You have to accept that the Panhard rod moves the axle laterally, as the rod
end moves through it's arc.  Now, in reality, the lateral movement is pretty
insignificant, but, Bob Griffith (several time SCCA G-Prod nat'l champ) used
a Watts linkage on his car, and others which he prepared.
Basically, a Watts link set up consists of a bracket, on centerline, behind
the dif, to which a bellcrank is pinioned.  A link goes to each end of the
axle, from the bellcrank.  The bellcrank set-up causes no interference with
vertical axle movement, no matter if it's one side, or the other, or both
sides, simultaneously.  It halts all lateral movement of the axle, however.
Of course, it (the mounting bracket for the bellcrank) should be welded to
the roll cage bracing, in the boot, 'cause the boot floor isn't rigid enough
to make it work right.......
Bud Osbourne (maybe too much coffee, from my 400 mi. drive, today)