Re: Cutting square arches?

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cutting square arches?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:28:11 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
SDOliner@aol.com wrote:

> How big a deal is it to round out the square arches?

It's a VERY big deal.
On my current 69 Midget project, the PO took a sawzall to the square
arches. He left me with the inner and outer (2 pieces) of metal pop
riveted together.
F/G arches are a couple of hundred bucks each. I checked.
Snap on rubber arches just don't exist, at least no from JC Whitney or
any usual suspects.
Making them out of foam and fiberglass just didn't work for me.
I mean when they were laying on the floor the next day, I said no
flares. So some welding and some glass hair bondo to sort of make it
look right, then lots of bondo, and finally glass to keep it all together.
I even tried VW plastic fender flares.
IMHO leave well enough alone unless you are VERY good at body work.
Mine is OK but a close look will show a real mess.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ