Re: consumer rant

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: consumer rant
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:45:58 -0600
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
It gets worse, Frank.  Now that China has become a huge
industrial power, we are beginning to see just exactly how well
prepared they are for the responsibilities that go along with
industrialization......

*************************
Authorities have reconnected water in Harbin, the city in northeast
China that has been without water for four days. The water supply was
shut down on Nov. 22 because of a huge chemical spill into a nearby
river. More than 100 tons of benzene, a colorless and toxic chemical,
spilled into the river. The chemical can cause cancer, blood disorders
and liver and kidney damage. According to China's Xinhua news agency,
the water pumps were turned on at 6 pm local time on Nov. 27. Local
people no longer have to wait in freezing weather for water.

A Harbin government official, Zhang Zujoi, showed the 3.8 million
people of his city that the water was now safe to drink. He took a few
sips of boiled water that had come from a local resident's house. Mr.
Zujoi promised four days ago that he would be first to taste the water
when the supply returned. Mr. Zujoi said: "I took the first drink to
reassure the public." However, he advised people not to drink the
water unboiled until the water pipes were fully flushed. Meanwhile,
the 50-kilometre-long toxic slick is moving toward Siberia. It will
endanger the Russian city of Khabarovsk in about two weeks.

There was another of these "spills" again today elsewhere in China.

Not only do they produce crap, they are evidently unable to keep the
byproducts of their crap from poisoning the very workers who are making
it!!

Not that we're doing very much better when it comes to polluting the
ground water.......

Cheers!!
Jim - optimistic sick Midget in Dodge City