Ebay Story (Long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Ebay Story (Long)
From: John Daniel Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:51:07 -0500 (EST)
I purchased a used Grant steering wheel (item #8040554207) for one of
my Midgets on ebay last week. For the first time in my ebay history, I
am ready to submit a dispute claim after communicating with this power
seller. Lots of gorry details below.

I received the wheel today and was disappointed to find white paint
overspray over the entire wheel. The overspray doesn't show in the
pictures, and wasn't mentioned in the description. If I could remove
the overspray without further damage I would just grumble about the
seller not disclosing it and not make an issue. I tried mineral spirits
and  MEK on a small area applied with a rag, and was only able to
remove some of the light stuff. I contacted the seller with this email;

I received the steering wheel today, and I am not happy. How did you
figure it was not important to mention that the entire wheel is covered
with white paint overspray. The overspray does not show in your
picture, and must be noted in the item description. I doubt the
overspray can be removed safely without damaging the vinyl covering.
I'm an understanding guy, but I gotta draw the line here. I will await
your answer before contacting dispute resolution, but I expect a full
refund including shipping charges both ways.
John Caffrey (4vee)

His reply, the quotes are mine;

"It was clearly marked as decent used conditon not brand new and it was
also clearly marked as is no returns-what did you think that meant?The
time to ask questions was before you bid not after and remember waht
ever you leave is what you receive.Roger."

I'll be honest, I did not check his feedback (16 negatives and 10
neutrals in the past 12 months), and I didn't pay any attention to the
no returns statement, but I did eveything I could to make a good
transaction. I have a good rep and pay promply, and should have
received pos feedback, instead I'm being threatened with neg feedback
if I have a gripe!  I've never run into a seller with this attitude on
ebay before, most business people will work with you to get your
satisfaction. I'm getting agitated now and probably should have not
tried any further communication, but I sent this;

So because I didn't ask you Is the Wheel covered in paint overspray,
then you believe you have no responsibility to properly describe your
items? Also threatening me with negative feedback when I've done
everything properly shows your character. I'm contacting Ebay and
notifying my email groups.
John

To which I received two replies;

"Oh you might try jumping up and down and holding your breath."

"Theres nothing wrong with that wheel and the picture was very
clear,next time email or but a new one.Oh you might also learn to read
and threats will get you a neg for sure as this transaction is becoming
uncomfortable to me!Bye bye 100%"

I believe his no return policy should not apply if he is deceitful in
his description, and that I should be able to return it for a full
refund. I also feel that should I win a dispute, I should be able to
give him neg feedback without repercussion. What can I expect from the
dispute process?   I'm not always Mr. tactful so I have to ask, were my
emails inflammatory? How would you handle Mr. power seller? I've
received some great ebay advice here before and welcome your opinions
and comments.
John
Fogelsville, PA
74 MG Midget