Re: Gearbox Bearing Replacement

To: <JMFarley50@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox Bearing Replacement
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:58:08 -0800
Hi John,

Light several candles on the mantle!  That's a start!

What you're asking so far on the input shaft and "spigot bearig is simple
and straight forward.

The rear bushing is another story.  Is it because there is a lot of play
between the driveshaft yoke and the bushing?  If it is, look closely at the
yoke portion and see if there are a lot of wear grooves on it.  If yes,
here's a way to go.

Because you can no longer get new yokes and when you press in the rear
bushing, it will be undersize.  If new yokes were available, you'd open up
the bushing with a milling machine to match a new yoke.  BUT!  Another way
is to have your machinest smooth up the yoke and then match the new sleeve
to this repaired yoke.  It will be a good fit and smooth, but will have no
interchaneability with any othe yoke or transmission sleeve.  It will be a
matched set only to these parts, which is OK.

You may well find a lot of other surprises inside the gearbox.  Badly worn
laygear shaft, baulk rings and the main output shaft ball bearing.  This
bearing is not available.  It has an offset hub, but you can use the same
type bearing as the input shaft by shimming up both sides of the new hub to
match the old bearing hub.

Hope this gives some insight to this type trans.  I've done many dozens of
these and I'm willing to help with any questions you have when you REALLY
get into this jungle!

Best, Paul A