Re: Engine Removal Follies

To: "David Ambrose" <stargazer1@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Removal Follies
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:26:06 -0600
On 3/25/06, David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net> wrote:
> My son and I attempted to remove the engine from his 1970 midget today.
> We're stuck, and so is the engine. We got the front mounts removed and
> cleared with no problems. However, the rear mounts at the transmission
> are stuck stuck stuck. I found all the bolts and the support piece is
> loose, but I can't separate that piece from the trans.

The "support peice" should come out still bolted to the tranny.

> I removed the
> three bolts I could see, but I suspect there's another one lurking
> somewhere.

There are 4 bolts holding the support peice. Two are easily seen from
underneath the car. They are in the bottom pans at the front end of
the drive shaft tunnel. The other two are inside the car under the
carpet either side of the transmission hump. Once these are
out, the whole thing should slide forward off the drive shaft, up and
out. I just did all this on my 1968 and spent 20 minutes scratching my
head before I found the two bolts inside
the car on the tranny hump!!

> We're beat, and I'm ready for a beer. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a nice homebrew Scottish Ale in the keg attm c'mon over.

Cheers!!
Jim - reassembling Midget in Dodge City
--
1964 R60/2 BMW