RE: starter and ground

To: <SDOliner@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter and ground
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:23:05 -0700
        David:

        Older starters use battery current to excite the field windings;
When you reverse the polarity, the current through the field windings
also reverses, so in effect you get two reversals which cancel each
other and the starter spins in the same direction.
        The new permanent magnet "Mini-starters" will not do this, and
so they will spin in the wrong direction.

        Vance