Keith...That's MY car you were talking about

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Keith...That's MY car you were talking about
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:12:54 -0700
Keith Turk wrote:

>         Yes a good freind of mine took his Bugeye race car to Lake
>         Gairdner back in 2002... he ran something like 220mph with
>         it.... keep in mind it looks like my race car with a bugeye
>         body on the back....   Actually ....Doug Odom and Gail
>         Phillips drove the car and both got into the 200mph club down
>         there....

I do believe that is MY car you are talking about.  And I have the pink
slip to prove it!!!!

Years ago, back in the early 1980's, when it difficult to find Bugeye
parts, I bought an early 1958 Sprite with VIN No. AN5L762.   It was a
non-runner, but that was fine because it was to be simply a parts car  I
later sent the VIN to Anders Ditlev Clausager, and learned that it was
built on April 22, 1958 . That meant that it was built even before the
May 1958 public launch of the new Austin-Healey Sprite, and was the
261st off the assembly line.

Fast forward about 17 years and the bureaucrats of the City of Anaheim
said I could not park it, even under cover, on the garage apron in the
alley behind our house.  (Yes, it was THAT Sprite.)  So, my son and I
cannibalized it, keeping all of the parts from tub to bonnet to nuts and
bolts.

Fast forward again, and I put a note on the internet Sprite groups
asking if anyone could use the tub.  I later got an e-mail from someone
down in Alabama, I believe, saying that a friend in California going for
a land speed record down in Australia, but had totaled his Sprite in a
practice run on a California dry lake.  Could he, I was asked, get the
tub?  Sure, why not.

In a phone call from Doug Odom, he told me he had to have a car on the
ship to Australia in six weeks, and was desparate.  He came down from
Modesto a few days later, and we loaded the tub on  it.

I never heard from him again, but did read that the car--MY car--did
220.237 mph, and Gail Phillips 205.538 mph in MY car.

Now, since I still have the pink slip, I think I can legitmately claim
bragging rights to "owning" the fastest Sprite in the world!

See:  http://www.dlra.org.au/profiles/255.htm

Buster Evans