Re: Rear wheel hub and bearing removal

To: bccgc@cinci.rr.com
Subject: Re: Rear wheel hub and bearing removal
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:14:05 -0500
George,

I doubt the problem is too much fluid.  It is hard to over-fill the diff
because it drains back out of the fill hole when it reaches the right
level.

You do need to order new o-rings and gaskets.

If all you are doing is replacing the o-ring and the gasket you won't
need to pull the hub off, so no special tools required.  There is an oil
seal in the hub and if that needs replacement then you will need to pull
the hub and you'll need a puller.  The hub seal rides on the axle
surface, which can sometimes be damaged and in turn damage the seals.
Moss and others sell a Speedi-sleeve that can be put over the axle to
give the seal a smooth surface again.  It should probably be obvious
where the leak is coming from once you get the brake drum off.

There are a number of ways to reseal the axle when replacing the hubs.
Personally, I just use a little axle grease on the gasket because I tend
to take the axles out fairly often to change gear ratios for various
tracks.  Some people use sealant of some sort.

Most valuable advice I can give is to run the lugnuts down the studs and
tightening them up before setting the countersunk phillips head screws
(which I replace with allen headed countersunk screws, but you may not
want to go that far).  That insures a good, tight seal.  I also put some
loctite on the screws.

Not a real difficult job.  You don't even need to drain the diff.  If you
are still concerned about fluid level after you've done all this (you'll
lose a little when the axles come out), just make sure the car is level
and open the filler plug and top-off or drain off as necessary.

Good luck!

-- David Littlefield