Re: Hurrah for the BMCNO's 16th Annual British Car Show!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hurrah for the BMCNO's 16th Annual British Car Show!
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:16:34 -0400
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:14:05 -0500

From: dmeadow@juno.com

Subject: Re: Rear wheel hub and bearing removal

George,

...Not a real difficult job.  You don't even need to drain the diff.  If
you

are still concerned about fluid level after you've done all this (you'll

lose a little when the axles come out), just make sure the car is level

and open the filler plug and top-off or drain off as necessary.

Good luck!

- -- David Littlefield

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:33:39 -0400 bccgc@cinci.rr.com writes:

> I recently noticed some leaking from the right rear axel in the brake

George:

I'll add that if you jack the car up on the side you are working on, the
diff oil will run to the other side and you won't lose any-and save
yourself the messy clean-up job.

Also: You may find the remnants of a paper gasket in there.  Opinions
vary on its necessity.  A *light* schmear of hylomar or RTV, let to set
up a bit and then assembled as David described (with the lugnuts used to
provide the "push"), and your leaks will probably be done.  The
SpeediSleeve is just if you have a butchered up surface on the axel
where the seal rides on it.  I think most of us have not had that
problem.

--JohnD