Re: LED lighting on Spridgets

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: LED lighting on Spridgets
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:36:13 -0400
 i have been using #1157 LED bulbs in my tow vehicle and open car trailer
for around 3+ years now with no failure.  previously the trailer would
destroy bulbs around evry 1.5 tows!  i spent more time checking lights at
fuel stops than i did fueling i think.   it got to  the point i'd carry
4-8 #1157 bulbs with me and replace at least 1 bulb per trip!  ( i even
suspected something wrong with the tail lights sockets and replaced them
out of sheer frustration over the frequent bulb failures!)   i tried the
putting two new ones in before leaving home a few times and that had no
effect on longevity.  the hard ride of the trailer would vibrate the
elements untill they broke.
but i just went to autozone and shopped in their "yo-boy" aisle and the
bulbs were hanging up packed 2 per card.   (they do come in colors!)  i
bought the "clear" ones and never installed any sort of resistor and i have
a mechanical heavy duty flasher in the tow vehicle wich i did not need to
change.   i'm guessing that there is a resistor in each bulb?  but i can
not confirm that.
also i dilectric greased evry bulb socket to fight corrosion.  the trailer
sits quite a while at times and i did have a socket / contact corrosion
issue off and on wich the dilectric grease fixed!

chuck.