Re: shipping a car from the UK

To: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Subject: Re: shipping a car from the UK
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:17:50 -0700
Deikis, John G wrote:

>Anybody have any experience buying an old car in the UK and shipping it to the
>U.S.?  Interested in who does it, what it costs, what has to be arranged
>there, customs brokerage fees here, clearing it at the docks, etc.  This would
>not be a car that needs to meet federal emissions and crash standards.

I have never brought an English car to the States, but have had an
interest in shipping [virtual] rust-free Southern California cars to
England.  The "receiving" agent in the U.K. also handles the shipping of
cars from there to the rest of the world, including the U.S.  You might
want to contact Alan Shores at Kingstown Shipping Co.  (
http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/ ).  His e-mail is
alan.shores@kingstownshipping.co.uk  .  Again, I don't know what a
single car runs from the U.K. to a port new you, but it would be $795 to
ship one from Los Angeles/Long Beach to Thameside, or $3,195 for entire
dediucated contain that you loaded yourself, (or $4,095 if the shipper
loaded the container).

To be safe, check with your State department of motor vehicles to ensure
that you will be able to register your car when it gets to you.  When we
imported a new 1990 VW Passat, the California DMV told me we were
fortunate that VW had done it all, because it was virtually impossible
to import and register a single car yourself.  BUT, that was 16 years
ago, AND a State DMV employee.

Hope this helps.

Buster Evans