Re: Speedo repair

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo repair
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:00:11 -0400
Jim Johnson wrote:

> Can a novice open up the Smiths speedo and perhaps fix it or should I
> send it to a speedo shop somewhere?

Jim

I have made one for a 59 A40 out of an MGB speedo.
Like most brit cars, nothing changes.
Mind you an A40 has a 0-80 MPH speedo and is set inside a complete
cluster like most cars of the 50s.
MGB has a 120 mph speedo and it's round.
But the guts are all the same and the scale just worked out for me (I
got lucky)
Open it up. Look at it this way...if it's already broke, you can't break
it. It might be something stupid like part of the rubber gasket stuck in
the guts. A spider web, lack of lube, loose needle, or it could have
self destructed and you needed a new one anyway ;)
Tiny screwdrivers, tweezers, glasses, steady hands, and a white cloth to
work on. If you just want to take off the housing, 2 screws in the back,
the bezel and glass in the front, and see if it's something stupid.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ