Re: Was British car shows, Now Driving Trans-Kansas

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Was British car shows, Now Driving Trans-Kansas
From: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:18:01 -0700
I'm originally from Glasco, one of those small farming communities that
never had a population much bigger than 800. I've not been back for a number
of years but would wager that it is now home to maybe a 150 people. Glasco
is located just off US81 about 45 miles north of Salina and maybe about 45
miles south of the Nebraska state line. As a point of reference, Glasco is
40 mile dues east of Cawker City, Kansas, home to one of the world's largest
balls of twine.

As remote as that location may seem, I saw my first Brit cars there. In the
very early 60's we had a "visiting scholar" (a teacher that couldn't find a
job anywhere else and spent but one academic year in town) who drove a
Morris Minor. A couple of years later one of the older kids (Max Liby, if
memory serves) came to school with a really nice MG TD. About the same time,
Dickie Wolf started hitting the two-block-long main drag in a Bug Eye. The
other "exotic" cars in town during that era included a Renault Dauphine, a
NSU Prinz, and a Simca Aronde. And, for a while, my dad had a Crosley.