Re: Camp/Oil Pump

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Camp/Oil Pump
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:46:48 -0500
Glen Byrns wrote:

Just a word of warning to those of you building up motors.  It seems that all
new cams available are of the slot drive type.  Your star or pin drive oil
pumps won't work.  Fine, sez you, I'll just buy a slot drive oil pump, and
all
will be skittles and beer!  NO!  It seems that nobody has a slot drive oil
pump available today.  Minimania says they may have a few next week, and
after
that..... who knows.

Just an FYI on a similar situation. When I was having a new race 948 built, I
sent my original 948 cam to Elgin for re-working, and in the meantime, bought
a new 948 pin oil pump. Then Elgin said my 948 cam was trash and substituted
a 1275 star drive cam. So now I was stuck with a star drive cam and a pin
pump. So my machinist milled a pin slot in the end of the cam and fitted it
to the pin pump. He said it was a little tricky but it worked. I don't know
all the machining details. The engine seems to run fine, but I haven't raced
it yet.

Bud Pazur

'60 Bugeye - Street Car - 1275cc - 'Whitey'
Race Bugeye - 948cc - 'Redd'
Race Spridget - 1275cc - 'SilverStreak'

"The Buddha ... resides as comfortably in the gears of a ...transmission as
he does in the petals of a flower."
     - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance