Re: Quality not made here--how to fix it?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Quality not made here--how to fix it?
From: Dave Grandeffo <davegran@ticon.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 07:32:43 -0500
Buster wrote:

> Back in 1946, my dad decided to build a third bedroom on our house, and
> set about doing it himself.  One of the tools he bought was a big, and I
> do mean big half-inch drill.  After the bedroom was completed, the drill
> was used off and on for different projects.  Now, 60 years later, it has
> given out, and and given up the ghost!  I have taken it to a couple of
> tool repair shops, but they just shake their heads and have no idea how
> to take it apart and repair it.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a half-inch drill made by the
> Thor Industrial Pneumatic Tool Co. of Aurora Ilinois, and was their
> Model 6579.  The company, it seems, must have passed into history as
> Americans wanted cheaper tools.
>
> Buster Evans

Buster,
Take heart, back then tools and most other products were MADE to be
fixed. They were built with heavy duty parts and screwed together by
real people, not robots.

It probably has some external brush holder screws made out of bakelite
or some such; take those out first and see if the brushes are worn down
to a nubbin'. Now lay the drill down with the case screw heads facing up
just like on the assembly line. Start taking out the screws and sticking
them in a piece of cardboard in the same pattern as on the drill, 'cause
there will probably be different lengths. Look for hidden screws in the
handles. Gently pull the top half of the case off and gaze at the way
stuff used to be built. Take a couple of pictures to document how the
gears sit and the wires run.

The armature where the brushes run should be shiny and clean. If not,
you can clean it up yourself in a lathe or take it to a motor shop and
also pick up some brushes while you're there. The gear train should be
cleaned and freshly greased. Likewise all the bearings. When everything
is back to 1947 standards, "assemble in the reverse".

Hope I didn't bore you, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to preserve
some remnants of the past, especially where they touched my Dad's
life.... If this is all too daunting, send it to Frank.  [:~)

--
Dave Grandeffo
www.kettlemorainemotorsports.com